89th Oscar Picks and Predictions

I saw almost every single summer blockbuster in theaters before our son was born and then didn't see a single nominated movie until this month. This is extremely unusual for me, as the late fall/winter movies are always my favorite. Babies change things, or whatever. Anyway, even though I only got around to seeing 6/9 movies nominated for best picture prior to now, I'm still as stoked as ever for the movie Super Bowl and all the snacks I'm going to eat.

PICTURE: La La Land
Moonlight could sneak in here, honestly, but I still predict (and pick) this

DIRECTOR: Damien Chazelle - La La Land 

ACTOR: Denzel Washington - Fences
I haven't gotten around to Fences yet, and although Casey Affleck was getting the buzz for a while, I think Denzel is going to come out with his third statue. In other news, I think Tom Hanks should have been nominated for Sully.

ACTRESS: Emma Stone - La La Land
I so wish that Amy Adams would have been nominated for Arrival, but this is still my pick.

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Mahershala Ali - Moonlight
A short but very impressionable performance

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Viola Davis - Fences
It's about time

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Moonlight
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: La La Land
ANIMATED: Zootopia
CINEMATOGRAPHY: Moonlight
COSTUME DESIGN: La La Land
DOCUMENTARY: OJ: Made in America
DOCUMENTARY SHORT: Extremis
FILM EDITING: La La Land
FOREIGN LANGUAGE: The Salesman
MAKEUP AND HAIR: Suicide Squad
MUSIC: La La Land
SONG: "City of Stars" from La La Land
PRODUCTION DESIGN: La La Land
ANIMATED SHORT: Piper
LIVE SHORT: Ennemis Intérieurs
SOUND EDITING: Hacksaw Ridge
SOUND MIXING: Hacksaw Ridge
VISUAL EFFECTS: The Jungle Book

0 Comments